Less than 2 weeks ago we highlighted a report about OnePlus testing their Android Pie update on the OnePlus 5 and the OnePlus 5T. The only caveat here was that the beta testing was being done on China. So unless you lived in China and were lucky enough to be chosen, you were out of luck. It’s difficult to keep things a secret and prevent files from spreading within the Android community as we have just learned the HydrogenOS closed beta firmware based on Android Pie has been leaked for the OnePlus 5T.
For those who are new to the OnePlus ecosystem, the company maintains two different versions of its software. This is similar to how Xiaomi has China firmware for devices they sell in their home country, but they also have a Global variant that they sell in India, across Europe, and elsewhere. So for OnePlus, HydrogenOS is what they install on their smartphones that are sold in China, while OxygenOS is the global firmware that we mainly talk about here on XDA.
Some global fans enjoy HydrogenOS, so it all boils down to your personal preference. With OnePlus being based in China, it makes sense that they would beta test HydrodgenOS before OxygenOS. Now that the firmware has been leaked, any OnePlus 5T user can try out the new update.
OnePlus 5T Pie Changelog:
- New One Plus UI design, more details waiting for you to discover.
- New background control solution for a lighter and smoother experience ·
- New full-screen gestures (5T only) Android P shutdown interface icon Replace, and support advanced restart communication ·
- SMS verification code to open the display, check the verification code faster step ·
- Optimize the strange number identification function ·
- Add the dual card mode to set the default card for a single contact or group ·
- Optimize the call interface UI design applications
- Optimize the experience of weather applications
XDA Member billsz was able to provide us with the original Baidu download link for the firmware. However, as it can be difficult for those of us around the world to download from that source, XDA Member TheJedeX was able to give us a Google Drive mirror with the direct link right here.
One last tidbit of information that we learned from all of this is that the HydrogenOS Pie closed beta firmware for the OnePlus 5T can actually be installed on the OnePlus 5 as well. XDA Senior Member angourakis showed off some screenshots in a Google Photos album with it installed. However, please know that if you install this OnePlus 5T closed beta firmware on the OnePlus 5, the fingerprint scanner will not work. The home button will still function as a home button.